Monday, April 10, 2006

Just resting my arm

I'm not hiding or sulking, just resting my right arm. The wrist and hand have been weak lately, and the shoulder is twinging sometimes too. I have a cantata to play on Friday, and I don't have an understudy, so no more cutting down trees (yes, I cut down a tree the other day) or standing at a sink for two hours straight (did that too), and no garden digging until next week. But, but, but... the weeds are growing, and the transplants are growing, please, please, couldn't I dig for just an hour or so? Half an hour?

My arm says no. And definitely no blogging after this post, and the clock is running.

Just one more quick thing: the cantata is Once Upon a Tree by Pepper Choplin, to be presented at 7:30 p.m. on Good Friday, April 14th, at St. Andrew's United Church here in Arcola. Garth is the narrator (in the role of Luke); soloists are Cliff James, Jacob Van Zyl, and Marla Schlenker; Kevin Hengen has a speaking role; and Jane Gordon is directing the choir of about two dozen singers, including lots of my relatives: Garth's brother Brian, my mom and dad (Nora and Don), my sister Glenna, and my daughter Ruth. But don't get the idea that this is just a Herman-Stewart family project; it involves people from the whole community, from other churches, from both Arcola and Kisbey—if you've ever lived in this area, you'll know someone in this cantata. Everyone is welcome.

4 comments:

Madcap said...

Well, be good to that arm, then, and sing your heart out!

Jim said...

I wish I could be there to experience that, what a rewarding way to enrich your life and your community.

Deb said...

must resist urge to garden...must resist digging...

Take care of that arm! I wish I could be there to hear the cantata!

Deb said...

Oh and by the way...Fred just emailed me and thanked me profusely for helping get the Whistlepigs gig in Forget. I was just doing a friendly favor, linking to their site, but I never imagined I would facilitate their getting some business! He offered me a small cut...;)