Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Getting a Handle

There are too many of us out there.

Lauras, that is.

I know of second Lauras who comment on several of my favourite blogs, and now on one blog there is a third.

So I am thinking I will take a new handle. I tried "Laura the Arcologist," but that looks much too pompous. (I don't know; maybe it fits? Gently, please, gently.)

Here are some other ideas:

LArc - too French? I can manage a little conversation, but I have no French heritage.

larc - too acronym-ish? Google brings up an awful lot of research/resource centres. But larc puts me in mind of a singing bird, or a light-hearted rebellious wandering.

larcola - hmm. Sort of icky, but on the plus side, this handle is very rare on the 'Net. Still - I'm no Miss Arcola.

arcolaura - I wouldn't be the only one in the world, but pretty close. I think I like it. The full name of Arcola is there, but muted, and the arc theme is emphasized. And my name is definitely there. Yes, I think I'll take it. I was going to ask for your opinions, but that was before I thought of this one.

Oh don't worry, I'll still welcome your opinions. But I'll probably still be arcolaura.

9 comments:

Madcap said...

Arcolaura gets my vote, too. We'll know exactly who you are.

Madcap said...

And you'd be arcolaureate.

arcolaura said...

arcolaureate - careful, that could go to my head!

Wayne just called me laurarc - mmm, thanks for the suggestion, Wayne, but I'm still favouring arcolaura.

LauraHinNJ said...

I think I may be one of the Laura's you're talking about.

I try to remember to use my last initial (LauraH) on Wayne's blog, so that we won't all get mixed up. There isn't a problem on blogger blogs where my whole name thingie comes up.

Anyway - sorry for the mix-up.

arcolaura said...

Oh, no need to apologize, Laura. You were the first other Laura that I noticed, and unfortunately, my last initial is H too!

Jim said...

Arcolaura is a fine handle but it might take me awhile to get used to you sharing a name with a gas station... How dare them! ;~)

But your picture comes up at EHG's comment page so I always know which Laura is which.

arcolaura said...

There's a gas station?!! That ... hmmm ... no ...

I could get used to that. Sort of a counterpoint. I'd be the real thing.

Tim Hodgens said...

I like it, it's distinctive. Since I've only known you as Arcolaura, I figured, yeah. Hey what the heck it's a free country!

At one point I posted some material on a support group on the web. I made the mistake of mentioning my professional affiliation and was roundly attacked by what seemed like hordes of people.

So I switched to SimplyTim and then I kept writing the same stuff but it was ok then.

For me it's also a reminder to me to keep it simple, to not stay too much in my head. At times it's a challenge.

Now I have to figure out what a arcologist is...a person who studies arcs?

arcolaura said...

Tim - here are a couple of earlier posts that might shed some light on that question:
An Arcologist with a Prior Claim
Arc-ology
(Interesting that I named the blog before I even dreamed of the labyrinth)
And I'm assuming you had a look at Introducing Arcol-o-Gist

The blog hasn't developed as much of an "Arcola" focus as I originally imagined. I'd say, at this point, "arcologist" is mostly a hint about the way I think.