Friday, March 10, 2006

More thoughts on indoor temperatures

Somewhere I saw an article about the variation in temperature from one area to another in an office environment, and how this variability is very hard on a body.

What? Don't these people ever go outside?

I remember the thrill of running down a hill in the evening and feeling the sudden chill as we dropped into a pocket of valley-bottom air. I remember thinking I would like to be a micro-climatologist, because there were so many fascinating variations all around me and nobody else seemed to pay much attention. I still love to discover a tiny sedge blooming well ahead of the season just because it gets extra heat from an adjacent boulder.

I didn't read the whole article, and now I wonder. Maybe they went on to say that the body isn't very good at dealing with only slight variations in temperature. Maybe large variations are actually good for it. When a body gets used to a stable environment, small variations get overlooked by the body's temperature management system, and then the body suffers. Or the brain just ignores the body pleading that it's a little chilly. Speaking of which, it's time I got these poor neglected limbs in motion.

1 comment:

Madcap said...

Well, I've been getting lots of variation this week; snow, snow, snow, shovel, shovel, shovel.

Oh, and wind, wind, wind. Sure can tell spring is coming.

I've got a rock garden full of thymes and such along the south wall of our house, and it's always WELL ahead of everything else, getting the heat from the house, the sun, and the big rocks. I've been spending more time noticing the micro-climates in our area, different tree growth and species, etc.

So, the little variations in temperature in an office building are hard on the body, huh? I suspect the whole building is hard on the body. And the soul.