Sunday, September 25, 2005

Genealogical records online

Saskatchewan has just announced an online index of birth records from 100 years ago or more. I played with it a little, putting in family names of early settlers, and discovered that the place of birth is often listed as a land description for a farm. However, listing "Arcola" as the place of birth still gave me 150 records. It could be an interesting browse if you have ancestors born around here. I won't find any of my relatives listed, since my parents came to the area in the 1970s. I've become accustomed to being a bit of an outsider, not related to anyone, not connected to the local history in any way. But it was amusing to see the surprise among the students on a hike at Saskairie, when I mentioned that I used to live there when I was a kid. "You lived here?!" I suddenly felt like a local relic.

No comments: