Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Another view of Nepal

Sometimes I take a quick peek at one or two of Blogger's featured blogs. Today I discovered Kaura Travels. Normally I wouldn't be much interested in a musical group's tour blog, but this is a little different. For one thing, these musicians seem to be listening and exploring as much or more than they are touting their own stuff. But what really caught my attention was the mention of Nepal. Their posts from December 11th through January 12th, including numerous videos and slideshows set to their own music, describe their journey by bus to Pokhara; their hike on the Annapurna Circuit; and their time in Pokhara and Kathmandu.

I have only watched a couple of the videos. I am ambivalent about world travel. Yes, I'm ambivalent about Garth's travel. It's an ongoing point of strain between us; he wants to see far more of the world than he has to date, and he wants to see Australia again, but I feel almost no desire to see it even for the first time.

I believe there is far more travel going on than there should be, but I'm grateful when those who do travel take the time and effort to share the beauty and the realities of their experience with others. Thanks, Kaura.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way about travel, Laura. I don't know how closely my background resembles yours.

Maybe it's a thing that I haven't developed at this point in life, or maybe it has something to do with my upbringing with a family that moved every three years. My parents have always loved to travel and I'm just a homebody.

Of course, after my parents saw the spread they said they understood why I didn't want to go anywhere, but I think they were just being accomodating.

I hate being a tourist. I'd feel like I have to learn the language. I'd worry about the house and cats. I can think of lots more to spend the money on. Basically it would be a chore I impose for self-improvement.

Still, I feel like I should.