Monday, April 17, 2017

On Hypocrisy

I talk about climate change.

And I travel by car sometimes. Sometimes I walk, or ride the bus, but sometimes I take the car. Once in a while I even go by air.

Does that make my talk of climate change hypocritical?

I don't think so.

If there were viable alternatives, and if I were refusing to use them while talking about the need for them, that would be hypocrisy.

But there is nothing hypocritical about working to bring those alternatives into existence. And that's what I'm trying to do by talking about climate change.

So to all those who use the charge of hypocrisy to hinder discussions of climate change, I say: If it weren't for your obstruction of progress, we'd have better options by now. Low-carbon lifestyles would be readily achievable and accessible across society.

And someday, when those options are available, then hypocrisy will be an option, too.

No comments: